DIY: Jewelry Hanger


After discovering a really cheap box of cup hook screws at Sears, and that they could be installed by hand and not only with a drill, I was so ready to make a sturdy rack to organize and display my collection of thrifted and handmade necklaces. I've always admired the unfinished wooden plaques at the craft store, and finally found a great use for one!


 Materials:
  • flat piece of wood {for the base; find wooden plaques here; consider driftwood!}
  • small screw in cup hooks {factor in one hook for every necklace or two; try eBay}
  • 2 small closed hooks {for mounting the hanger; find some here}
  • scrap of fabric or felt {for backing} and string {for hanging}
  • paint, if desired {for finishing; I like Ceramcoat's color selection}


Steps:
  1. Finish or seal the wood, if desired. I wanted mine to be bright yellow with gold trim. I used acrylic paint from the craft store and let it dry overnight.
  2. Plan the placement of your hooks and mark with small dots. I tried to make sure no hook would be directly above another. Leave at least an inch between hooks so the wood doesn't split. Screw in the hooks.
  3. Glue a piece of felt or material to the back of the wood to keep it from scraping or thudding against the wall.
  4. Attach the closed hooks to the top edge of the frame, thread with some string or chain, and hang.



4 comments:

  1. Love it! I NEED to make one of these... my flat is a jewellery black hole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! This is so cool. And I love the color yellow as an accent in the house. It looks beautiful. I want it...and it looks pretty easy to make too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh this is such a cute DIY! I'm always looking for ideas to organize my shiz, this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it! I use cup hooks too for jewelry-- they're perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! xo